Sunday, July 17, 2011

Learning to "See" --Lines


Photo by Margaret Bourke-White
One of the basic traits good photographers share is an ability to see images that many people don’t notice.  I believe you can develop an “eye”, but I think the OMG-FANTASTIC photographers are born with some added ability. However that said, all of us have to develop our skills and master the basics. Until we do this we won't know if we could be a good photographer or one of those OMG FANTASTIC ones. So let's start at the beginning with the elements - specifically lines.    

When my art teacher told us to:
1. Just shoot in black and white, (back in the days of shooting with film)
2. Go find and shoot anything depicting lines
I thought he was insane and had no clue what he was talking about.  Of course I was the one being clueless.   What I didn’t understand was that he was teaching us to see the basic elements in photography.  Lines can draw the viewer into the photograph and they can help give eyes a focal point.   So set your camera on B/W and go shoot “lines”  and please share!   

0 comments:

Post a Comment